OK, it’s wrong to laugh at another’s misfortune. And the behavior in these circumstances doesn’t exactly seem…rude. But don’t you wish that more people answering their cell phones would find them suddenly bursting into flames?
I mean, you know, like at movie theaters. Or in class.
UPDATE: Oh, poop. The link requires registration. Here’s the money part:
New Paltz � Matt Erhorn was pumping gas into his car at the Route 299 Courtesy Mobil station at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday when he reached into his pocket and answered his ringing cell phone.
���With the flick of his “talk” button, Erhorn, a SUNY New Paltz student, received the surprise of his life.
���”He told me he answered the phone and the next thing he knew, there was this flash of flame,” New Paltz fire Chief Pat Koch recalled yesterday. Koch was standing next to the gas pump yesterday where Erhorn’s cell phone triggered a vapor flash that singed the hair on his left arm.
���Erhorn told Koch he flung the gas hose to the ground and ran. The night attendant inside the convenience shop, Mohamed Taiep, triggered the station’s fire suppressant system. In a second, Erhorn’s 1994 Isuzu and everything else under and beyond the station’s canopy was doused with a white cloud of fire-snuffing chemicals that made the station look like it had been hit by a snowstorm.
���Erhorn refused treatment at the scene and didn’t answer his phone yesterday.
If you want to know the technical part — why answering the phone set off the gas fumes — then go ahead and register.