In deep.

I think this explains why we bought a noisy, polluting machine to clear our driveway. Just to give y’all a sense of what we were facing this morning…

Posted at 2:29 pm in Detroit life, Same ol' same ol' |

18 responses to “In deep.”

1. Dorothy said on February 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Good for you guys!!! Twice after Mike had surgery in early January, my neighbor kindly brought over HIS noisy, polluting machine to clear our hilly, 100′ driveway. He was rewarded with a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies and my undying gratitude.

2. kayak woman said on February 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I don’t have a snowblower. I actually like to shovel snow. This morning? That stuff was heavy and I was seriously questioning my stubborn, yooper attitude. A neighbor who frequently blows all of the sidewalks on the block was heading across the street toward my house when her machine ran out of gas. Oh well. Two hours of shoveling ensued, followed by pushing another neighbor’s car out of a snowbank. Fun times.

3. ROgirl said on February 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Wonderful neighbor across the street cleared my driveway and sidewalk this morning, but my street and a lot of the streets in my neighborhood haven’t been cleared yet. I managed to get out to a main street, but when I came back into my neighborhood I got stuck trying to turn into my street. Another neighbor was driving by and tried to help. Finally, 2 city work trucks were going by. The guys got out and one of them said,” A couple of chicks are trying to push a car out of the snow.” I said,”If the street had been plowed this wouldn’t have happened.” They pushed me out.

4. Jolene said on February 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

No snow here to brag (or complain) about here, but, to follow up the earlier discussion, thought the baseball fans might be interested in this article re Livian Hernandez by Tom Boswell. I’m not enough of a baseball fan to know him, but it sounds like he’s one of those “for the love of the game” players that everybody roots for.

5. beb said on February 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Been there, done that. Am thawing out with hot tea.

You know you have serious snow when the top of the snow is higher that the mouth of the blower.

6. Dave said on February 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I used to make fun of snowbirds and now I’m spending the winter being one. Nancy, watching the video gives me the shivers. Brrrr.

7. Deborah said on February 21, 2011 at 6:08 pm

A dusting of snow in Chicago, wet, cold and windy. Grey all day. I have a bad, bad case of the Februaries. I can’t wait until spring. More-so this year than others before. Daylight saving time starts in less than 3 weeks. Yippee!

8. alex said on February 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Crummy weather makes me wanna cook. Have tried this one twice now and it has become a fave. Roasting the ‘shrooms per the directions makes for a wonderful aroma and flavor. And I used the optional pinch of saffron.

Requires some multitasking but worth the trouble.

9. nancy said on February 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

We bought the blower our second winter here. The first one, we tried to keep up with shovels, but quickly discovered we’d have to settle for a clear path to the garage, clear walks for the mail and newspaper carriers, and the rest we’d just tamp down and wait for spring. The way our house is situated, it’s a long damn time before spring penetrates the shadowed recesses of our back yard. With the blower, one sunny day after a major snowstorm is enough to dry off the pavement, and everything stays a lot safer to walk on. Not that I need to justify. Just sayin’.

Alex, that sounds heavenly. And I have mushrooms on hand.

10. alex said on February 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm

And it’s awesome cold. Looks like there’s not going to be any left.

11. Kirk said on February 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm

MarkH, Dave,
    I posted this on the previous thread but just in case, that’s Jerry Lynch, who once held the lifetime record for pinch-hit home runs. He was the first guy I saw hit a homer in person, and so he became my favorite player.

12. coozledad said on February 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Alex, Nancy: It doesn’t much matter what else is in it: as long as you’ve got freshly ground white pepper and butter, it will probably work. Some Vietnamese black peppercorns are trading like precious metals these days, but the kernels work bizarre wonders in cooking. Especially with fatty dishes like eggs. If I were eating flesh I’d use them with olive oil sauteed chicken breasts (Chefs have told me they add butter to olive oil fricassees to add mouth feel) All I can tell you is it makes cornsmut based fake meat products tasty. That’s no mean achievement.

13. MarkH said on February 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I vaguely remember Lynch, Kirk, which is probably the bane of most pinch hitters, even a great one like Lynch. He played for both my favorite teams, the Reds and the Pirates.

14. Crazycatlady said on February 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I bought a snow blower because they are cheaper than a heart attack.

15. Dave said on February 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I remember Jerry Lynch vaguely, myself.
    I saw Sandy Koufax hit a home run in Milwaukee County Stadium in 1962, one of two I think he hit in his career.
    I’m almost certain he was pitching against Warren Spahn that night. I saw two games that year in Milwaukee, the other was against Willie Mays’s Giants.

16. Moe99 said on February 21, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Had a mai tai on the back porch tonight and watched the sun set into the Pacific ocean. I do not want to go home!

17. coozledad said on February 22, 2011 at 12:06 am

I wish I could be there to help run up your liquor bill.

18. cosmo panzini said on February 22, 2011 at 2:27 am

In my neighborhood, I’m the friendly guy who clears off the next-door neighbor’s driveway along with my own, mostly because he’s generous with the Crown Royal when I get done. Think I’ll bestow my snowblower on him when I move to Sarasota.