We had ourselves a time.

A former colleague messaged me on Facebook the other day, asking for my address. He’d been cleaning out some papers and had some stuff to send me. Stuff like this:

And stuff like this (not my handwriting, and I don’t know whose, but I have a suspicion):

And stuff like this:

Newspaper people keep amusing files. So does everybody short of actuaries, but ours are best. Were best, anyway.

Once, after I left Ohio, the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo sent a young giraffe to the Columbus Zoo. Giraffes are delicate and don’t travel well, and this one was let out of its crate, made a single galloping lap around its new yard and dropped dead. Evidently I sent a postcard:

I was big on postcards for a while. I still have boxes of them. I should get rid of a few. Send me your mailing address at nancy (at) nancynall.com and I’ll send you one. Puns not included. I don’t know how I got so pun-ny in this one, because I’m generally not a pun person. I have no memory of being a pun person. But I guess that’s why we save stuff like this.

Also included, but not reproduced here: Several notes I wrote on the half-sheets that were on every desk, which we used to, duh, send notes to one another, typed on our IBM Selectrics. There’s also an evening-news roundup, which the night staff was required to watch and summarize for the morning crew. I tried to make mine funny, because what’s the point of such boring duty if you can’t be funny. It begins:

good morning, carolyn. it’s (i mean it is) 6:35 p.m. and this is the news.

I never used capital letters back then. The “it is” stuff refers to a high-ranking editor who, furious that his people couldn’t tell the difference between its and it’s, banned the contraction from the newspaper. Which led to some awkwardness in copy and headlines: Happy New Year! It is party time! And so on.

The most interesting part, to me, is that in my on-paper notes, I used perfect manuscript editing marks. I bet you can’t find a journalist under 50 who even knows what they are.

Anyway, thanks to Robin for, at the end of my career, taking me back to its beginning. Life is all about bookends for me, lately. This was a good one.

And I think this will be the last entry before we leave, unless something huge happens. I’ll be posting photos, etc., on my social channels (@nderringer on Insta, @nnall on Twitter). And there’s always a chance I can make something work on our Airbnb wifi and my ailing iPad Mini. But no promises. This is a vacation, after all.

Bon voyage to us, happy first-of-the-fall to you all.

Posted at 5:31 pm in Media |

79 responses to “We had ourselves a time.”

1. roy edroso said on September 14, 2022 at 6:04 pm

It is, in fact, party time!

27 chars

2. jcburns said on September 14, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I have plenty of Nancy cards, thanks!

Safe travels to y’all.

63 chars

3. Sue M said on September 14, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Bon voyage! Fair winds and following seas.
    (just turned 64 and still send postcards)

84 chars

4. Dexter Friend said on September 15, 2022 at 1:04 am

Glad you are not dealing with Amtrak at all, as if you ever did much train travel anyway. My brother and sister-in-law just got their Amtrak trip to San Francisco from Chicago cancelled because of the looming strike. RR employees want a 24% pay increase compounded to reach that number by 2024, and 3 to 5 sick days per month instead of the current one day. The company has offered 14.1%. Five paid sick days a month is a lot, fer crissakes, but then railroad work is hard and tedious.
    So safe travels and bring us all back coffee mugs and tee shirts. 🙂

560 chars

5. Dorothy said on September 15, 2022 at 8:15 am

Postcards are a love of mine, too. I bought a bunch in Ireland and Scotland three years ago. I bought some at the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum and home about 10 years ago. And in my modern quilt guild, we’re exchanging fabric postcards at the meeting next month. Supposedly you can mail these, but getting a stamp to adhere might be tricky and complicate their arrival. So most people put the fabric postcard into a slightly larger envelope and mail them the regular way.

Have a wonderful trip and you know we’ll all be waiting to hear/see/know about all your fun. And the not-so-fun but I’m betting that will be minimal.

623 chars

6. Jeff Borden said on September 15, 2022 at 9:57 am

Safe travels. It’s always good to get away from ‘Murica once in awhile. We’ll grapple with the pressing issues of our times –drag queen story hours, CRT, banning books, etc.– while you and Alan are abroad.

207 chars

7. basset said on September 15, 2022 at 9:58 am

Have a great trip, eat well, enjoy.

Dorothy, did you get the link I sent you offline? Not sure I had the right address.

121 chars

8. Deborah said on September 15, 2022 at 10:19 am

Have a wonderful trip, hope the weather is fine.

48 chars

9. Suzanne said on September 15, 2022 at 10:59 am

Enjoy every minute of your trip!

32 chars

10. LAMary said on September 15, 2022 at 12:10 pm

I send Pantone postcards.
    Have a great trip. Eat some great food. The last time I was in Spain Franco wasn’t dead yet. Close, but not quite. It’s a lot nicer there now, I’m sure.

181 chars

11. Bruce Fields said on September 15, 2022 at 12:20 pm

“RR employees want a 24% pay increase compounded to reach that number by 2024, and 3 to 5 sick days per month instead of the current one day. The company has offered 14.1%.”

To be clear: the negotiations were between (multiple) freight companies and their employees. Amtrak was involved because they use the freight companies’ tracks.

At least, that’s my understanding.

376 chars

12. LAMary said on September 15, 2022 at 3:53 pm

I’m calling it a tie. Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis are seeing who is most terrible person. De Santis sent two planeloads of Venezuelan immigrants to Martha’s Vineyard. Abbott sent two busloads to Kamala Harris’s residence. Ho ho. Own those libs, guys. Use some humans to get some votes.

286 chars

13. Sherri said on September 15, 2022 at 5:13 pm

I think it’s pretty clear that DeSantis and Abbott (and their supporters) don’t consider those immigrants to be humans. Perhaps if they were fetuses they’d be worthy of their care and consideration.

204 chars

14. Dorothy said on September 15, 2022 at 5:31 pm

Yes I did get the link, basset. I opened the email, read it, and have not had time to see it yet. Hope to do so soon!

117 chars

15. Bitter Scribe said on September 15, 2022 at 6:52 pm

I’m sorry but those people had to be morons. “It’s-Its” is one of the easiest concepts to learn ever. When I was struggling to teach English as a second language to a Polish immigrant, I gave him a lesson where I explained the difference, then had him do a quiz where he had to choose the right one in a bunch of sentences. He nailed it perfectly.

563 chars

16. basset said on September 15, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Let me know what you think m, Dorothy… thanks. (Not to be rude and leave everybody else out here, it’s a link to a TV piece about the Singer sewing machine company making army pistols before WW2.)

Meanwhile, Mrs. B and I got our new Covid boosters today, requiring the addition of second vax cards because our first ones were full.

And we went last night to a showing of excerpts from the new Ken Burns Holocaust films. Powerful.

441 chars

17. David C said on September 15, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I don’t think being a moron enters into it for most people. People are busy. People are distracted. People are tired. People are people who are trying to manage their way around ridiculous English spelling. That’s why they have, or used to have, editors. Nobody gets it right all the time, every time for any of thousands of reasons. If you’re editing and your attitude is that the writer got it wrong because they’re stupid you should probably get another job or a big life insurance policy. Anyone like that will likely drop dead from stress at a young age.

559 chars

18. brian stouder said on September 15, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Here’s wishing our proprietress and her husband a pleasant trip, marvelous sights and tastes and experiences, and a comfortable return….whereupon we demand a marvelous, succinct, and cleverly discrete recapitulation in these spaces!

236 chars

19. alex said on September 15, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Perhaps if they were fetuses they’d be worthy of their care and consideration.

Nah. The forced birth movement is all about making fetuses somebody else’s problem too.

178 chars

20. Dorothy said on September 16, 2022 at 5:37 am

That was really cool, basset. I loved that when people would present those guns to try and sell them, and if they said it had ‘Singer’ on it to identify it, that proved they were fakes. Very interesting!

We got our next boosters on Tuesday and I felt like a slug all day Wednesday. No energy, and my arm hurt a bunch. But it was tolerable. I felt much more like myself yesterday. We, too, had full vaccination cards so they put a sticker on the back with the latest info. If we get anymore boosters, a new card will be in order.

Next week we’re driving to Troy NY (near Albany) for a family wedding. Anyone have any recommendations for a good restaurant? On Thursday evening those of us who are not involved in the ceremony itself will be eating out and having a good rec is always preferred. Our first night we’re staying in Niagara Falls. It’s been about 23 years since I was there and Mike only saw it when he was a little kid. I’m pretty sure nothing much has changed there but we’re gonna go by and take a look anyway. That stop will break up the long drive. When we come back home we’re stopping in Latrobe to see friends and have dinner with them. Should be a pretty satisfying trip. I love being retired but I’m kind of tired of not having anywhere to go. (My car has been in the body shop for 3 weeks now so that hasn’t helped lately.)

1371 chars

21. David C said on September 16, 2022 at 5:51 am

It’s a case study of one but it seems like the omicron booster works. I got mine on the first day they were available 2-3 weeks ago. My wife wasn’t feeling well that day so they told her she should probably wait. She got Covid earlier this week. We have a small house so we can’t really go off to our separate wings. We wouldn’t want to anyway. I’m sleeping in the guest room and that’s the only change we’ve made. That the only change we’ve made. I test every day and I’m still negative. We’ll see if that holds but so far, it looks good.

539 chars

22. Deborah said on September 16, 2022 at 9:16 am

I didn’t get Wordle at all today. Damn.

41 chars

23. basset said on September 16, 2022 at 10:16 am

Thanks, Dorothy. After Singer turned the contract down, the production line was handed off to Remington Rand typewriters and they made some huge number of em.

Can’t get interested in Wordle, the NYT mini crossword has become a daily thing for me though.

257 chars

24. Jenine said on September 16, 2022 at 10:53 am

@Deborah, today’s Wordle word is technically English but is not a word I’ve ever spoken or written. Boo.

104 chars

25. Suzanne said on September 16, 2022 at 11:04 am

Ugh. Today’s Wordle. I had all but the middle letter with 3 guesses to go and kept guessing wrong. I had heard the correct word but it never crossed my mind.

159 chars

26. LAMary said on September 16, 2022 at 11:37 am

The strange search of Sheila Kuehil’s home (she’s an LA county supervisor) was organized by our sleazy corrupt county sheriff. The county DA had nothing to do with it. Sheila has been very critical of the current Sheriff and he’s running for re-election.

254 chars

27. Sherri said on September 16, 2022 at 12:13 pm

So, let’s review the DeSantis stunt. Beforehand, he bragged to a bunch of donors that he had a pot of money to send a bunch of immigrants to blue cities. Then, a couple of charted planes appear in Texas, and someone tells a bunch of people seeking asylum that there are homes and jobs for them in Massachusetts. DeSantis also has a videographer on the plane, so he can get a good campaign commercial out of this. He flies them to Martha’s Vineyard, after a stop in Florida and South Carolina for who knows what, where, despite no knowledge that the refugees are coming, the community springs into action to welcome them, because, you know, unlike DeSantis and other Republicans, they treat them as human beings.

And DeSantis is the guy pundits were trying to claim was a better version of Trump?

803 chars

28. Julie Robinson said on September 16, 2022 at 12:33 pm

As a citizen of Florida, I’m angry that my tax dollars are being spent this way. I would like to him to work on the mess that is homeowners’ insurance, the mess that is sky-high rentals, the mess that is low wages, the mess that is lack of public transportation, the mess that is teachers leaving because of lack of trust in their professional abilities, the mess that is corruption of ghost candidates, the mess that is Florida Power & Light having a private bar next to the Capitol Building in Tallahassee, the mess that is lack of abortion access, the mess that is the child welfare system, the mess that is the anti-WOKE act and removal of transgener supportive surgeries, the mess that is 500 other things with higher priorities.

He is an awful, awful man.

769 chars

29. LAMary said on September 16, 2022 at 12:36 pm

It’s not even clear that the “migrants” DeSantis kidnapped and shipped to MA entered the US illegally.The cynical, cruel use of people for a campaign stunt is disgusting.

170 chars

30. ROGirl said on September 16, 2022 at 12:43 pm

As I’ve heard a lot recently, the cruelty is the point.

55 chars

31. David C said on September 16, 2022 at 1:54 pm

I do wish people would stop saying things like lets empty the murderers out of our prisons and send them to Florida and Texas. I know they’re not serious at least I hope they’re not. The way the Wingnut Wurlitzer works it gets turned into “Oh yeah, well the left is planning on sending murderers to Florida and Texas”. It’s plenty to talk about how awful DeSantis and Abbott are. Musings on revenge aren’t helpful.

414 chars

32. brian stouder said on September 16, 2022 at 2:56 pm

David C, indeed. If we look at this with any sort of seriousness, and/or humanity, and/or (insert all-encompassing religious reference here), what the Florida governor’s action represents is a flatly irresponsible crime against humanity. Treating human beings this way directly and flatly rejects the Statue of Liberty, and all of America’s founding ideals, and perpetuates all the evils that America likes to think we’ve overcome. (I suppose that’s the eternal truth here; we’re NEVER done declaring independence, or defending life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This is a universal aspiration, and not a private club)

655 chars

33. Colleen said on September 16, 2022 at 2:58 pm

I agree with everything Julie said. DeSantis is a horrid man. He tricked those people. Now I’m seeing reports that they were given false addresses under the pretext of helping them into the system, when in reality it was a ploy to get them nabbed for being in the country illegally. Which none of them were. They were seeking asylum from a communist government, which is legal. We already know he set up the voter fraud people.

I am so sick of rich white men breaking laws with impunity and facing no consequences. The fact that the gubernatorial race is so close is disheartening. This guy shouldn’t be in the running for anything, let alone governor.

656 chars

34. Deborah said on September 16, 2022 at 5:33 pm

Wow, the kidnapping of the immigrants who were flown to Martha’s Vineyard is even worse than I thought. I don’t know if this link will work but watch this video https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1570803548501446661

217 chars

35. Sherri said on September 16, 2022 at 6:50 pm

Like Trump, DeSantis’s only appeal is that he hates all the right people. That’s the animating force in the GOP today.

Everything I’ve read says that DeSantis has no personal charm at all, that he’s terrible at working a room of donors. But he’s figured out that cruelty plays well with the base.

309 chars

36. Dexter Friend said on September 17, 2022 at 2:56 am

Dorothy, I had a friend 20 years ago who worked in Troy in a downtown government office. Every week she’d gather the pool money for the big jackpot lotto games and buy them from a street lotto kiosk . One week the pot got up to about $370 million. My friend stood behind a lady she saw there frequently, buying tickets too. This time, the other lady bought the winning ticket and was the sole winner, one person ahead in line of my friend. Instead of being jealous, she was glad for that winning lady. My friend passed 15 years ago, she had stories. She’d Amtrak it to Yankee Stadium a few times a year and in her youth she’d sneak away to The Apollo in Harlem for the shows. She was a real live wire.

707 chars

37. David C said on September 17, 2022 at 6:19 am

Alan must be so happy he’s retired, going to Spain, and doesn’t have to cover the Detroit Auto Show, er the North America International Auto Show. It sounds like a read dud.

259 chars

38. Peter said on September 17, 2022 at 9:18 am

Deborah @ 24 – Boy, I thought I was made that parer stopped my World streak at 121 – defector.com had an entry about it and talk about venting….

I did pick up a good tip, since the reason every time I lose in Worldle is that I’m missing one letter and I run out of tries – paCer, paGer, paYer, paPer, etc…. someone said when you’re short one letter and there’s plenty of choices, type in a word that’s mostly consonants to eliminate possibilities, then return to the word missing one letter.

Sherri @ 27 – Yes, DeSantis is better than Trump – in that he’s more evil

575 chars

39. Peter said on September 17, 2022 at 9:27 am

A lot of times, I don’t see the forest for the trees, and a recent item in Raw Story about the stolen White House documents talked about an angle I never thought of before.

There’s plenty of articles out there about Trump taking the documents because he just likes collecting things and showing them off, and there’s plenty of examples to make that point. There’s plenty of articles out there about Trump taking the documents because he was going to sell them for $$$, and that would be no surprise.

This article went on about Trump’s history of picking up incriminating evidence on individuals, and then blackmailing them into doing what he wants. There were examples of journalists who accepted free tickets or hotel rooms to events at the Taj Mahal, and then when they wrote something bad about Trump, he would leak that they begged him for comps and they were by nature compromised. The article noted that Christine Whitman’s son got drunk at a party in a Trump hotel; when Trump wanted her to shelve a project that would help his casino competitors, he brought up how printing the story of her son would be damaging.

It made me think, especially when one of the items taken from Mar-A-Lago was “information on the President of France”….

1256 chars

40. Dave said on September 17, 2022 at 11:19 am

I do Wordle every day and somehow, I got parer, even though I didn’t even think of it as a real word. I remember my mother saying paring knife on a regular basis and I took a shot at it after paper didn’t work.

We got the booster shot (Pfizer) a week ago Thursday, the second day they were available at our closest CVS. They told us they’d had a steady stream but we were able to make an appointment online within three hours of the time we looked for a shot locally. We both had sore arms for a couple of days but had no other bad reactions, count us fortunate.

I don’t know what would have happened had Desantis’s opponent, Andrew Gillum had been elected because he had a host of issues all his own and I would have preferred his primary opponent, Gwen Graham, who was a much better candidate. Julia has written everything that’s wrong with Florida and it’s not going to change anytime soon, the Repugnant ones have held a majority there for over twenty years now and with places like The Villages, that probably won’t change. However, here we are, living back in Indiana, with our own despicable politicians and policies and living in a district with a congresswoman I don’t like, Victoria Spratz. I see a lot of huge signs in fields, VICTORIA.
    Ugh.

Safe travels, it’s going to be a great trip.

1316 chars

41. Jeff Borden said on September 17, 2022 at 11:35 am

While the MAGA cult chortles and chuckles at how Abbott and DeathSantis are “owning the libs,” what we witnessed at Martha’s Vineyard was the very best of our nation. The migrants arrived unannounced, yet the community quickly rallied to get them food, shelter, toys and clothing. High school Spanish students turned up to help with translations. The migrants wept with joy at how well they were treated. I’m an atheist, but to me, that was the very essence of being a christian.

Meanwhile, it turns out Texass and Floriduh are emulating the racists of the White Citizens societies prevalent in the South during the Jim Crow days. Seeking to embarrass Northern liberals, these pricks would recruit black people with the same kind of promises made to the Venezuelan migrants –jobs, housing, hope– and then bus them to Yankee cities in an effort to create chaos and mayhem. It was just as cruel then as it is now.

916 chars

42. Deborah said on September 17, 2022 at 12:17 pm

Peter, agreed, the words that kill me in Wordle are the ones where just one letter can be changed and make a bunch of different words, I usually run out of guesses. I never heard of someone using a paring knife being called a parer. That was a stretch. There was another questionable word a couple of weeks ago, I forget what that word was.

340 chars

43. Sherri said on September 17, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Remember the praying coach in Bremerton? The one the Supreme Court said the school district had to reinstate even though he had never been fired? Well, the school district has been trying to reinstate him, but he’s busy on the conservative celebrity circuit.

So, this coach goes out to the middle of the field to pray after the school district asked him to stop, and they put him on paid leave. Football coaches in high school work on one year contracts, and he never even applied for the job for the following season. So, he was fired, he wasn’t hired for a job he didn’t apply for. But he sues the school district, and the Supreme Court made up a set of facts and required the school district to “reinstate” him. So they sent him paperwork doing so, and have heard nothing from him since. Football season is two games in, but he’s busy palling around with Mike Pence and Donald Trump.

Where or where are the conservatives of good will that we’re supposed to be engaging with?

998 chars

44. Julie Robinson said on September 18, 2022 at 11:42 am

Local coverage of the DeSantis stunt: it cost $13,000 apiece to transport the immigrants. Just imagine if that had gone towards giving them a fresh start.

Also, the legislature has designated $12 million from federal Covid money the state received for DeSantis to use, and he says he’ll keep it up until he’s spent it all. I don’t understand what Bible he is reading from.

On a happier note, if you ever get the chance to see the play Noises Off, run to the theatre. It’s a play within a play, showing all the backstage drama and is pee your pants funny. It was also made into a movie starring Carol Burnett, and will make you forget all your troubles. It was a great diversion.

684 chars

45. David C said on September 18, 2022 at 12:28 pm

GOP Jesus understands the Republican’s Bible.

92 chars

46. Dorothy said on September 18, 2022 at 1:47 pm

Julie I’ve seen Noises Off twice. The first time my daughter and I went. At the end of the first act we ducked out to use the bathroom. When we got back we were stunned to see the set had been transformed! So we stayed in our seats after Act II and delighted in seeing how it was turned around yet again. Such a fun memory!

325 chars

47. Julie Robinson said on September 18, 2022 at 3:52 pm

David, shared.

Dorothy, they pulled the curtain after the first act but left it open after the second, and it was very entertaining to watch the revolve and rebuild. In fact, I thought it was worth a round of applause, so I led one.

236 chars

48. beb said on September 18, 2022 at 7:03 pm

I think I saw “Noises Off” as a movie but speaking of interesting set changes, my wife and I saw “Kinky Boots” a few years back. I was fascinated by things changed from one thing to another by rotating it or moving one piece next to another. It really teaches you how clever set design can be.

293 chars

49. Julie Robinson said on September 18, 2022 at 7:13 pm

Kinky Boots has a great set design, too, with its moving parts. It’s very slick. Noises Off has a two story set with two sets of stairs. In Act I you see the front as the actors rehearse, then Act II shows what’s happening backstage during the run of the show. Act III is from the front again, at the end of the run.

I haven’t see the movie in years, but I remember it as faithful to the show and hilarious. It’s so old it has Christopher Reeve and John Ritter in it.

471 chars

50. jcburns said on September 20, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Well, Julie, Dorothy, and Beb, clearly references to “Kinky Boots” and “Noises Off” have caused the commenting crowd to give up and depart for, I dunno, Spain or somewhere.

172 chars

51. Sherri said on September 20, 2022 at 3:08 pm

Okay, I’ll ask a provocative question to see if anyone is awake. Why shouldn’t we have open borders? Especially in the age of globalization, where capital knows no borders, why shouldn’t people be able to seek opportunity wherever, regardless of where they were born?

273 chars

52. tajalli said on September 20, 2022 at 4:14 pm

A huge argument against border walls, at least, is that many animal habitats traverse political borders. Restriction of animal migration is detrimental to ecosystem health.

As for globalization of economy, severely restrict capitalist/corporate and criminal depredations and support truly sustainable, autonomous economies for the smaller or poorer nations so that much of the pressure to emigrate is removed.

People not using the immigration process are often fleeing violence – they wouldn’t survive the +15yrs needed to arrange immigration. Christy Lefteri’s The Beekeeper of Aleppo illustrates the pressures governing illegal immigration.

Ruthanna Emrys’ A Half-Built Garden employs a model of networked consensus-based governance by watershed could function for problem solving.

800 chars

53. Suzanne said on September 20, 2022 at 4:48 pm

Anyone else watching the Ken Burns documentary the US and the Holocaust? It’s eye opening. I knew some of what they discuss but not all. The anti-immigration crowd has always been among us, loud and mean.
    It is worth watching.

230 chars

54. Deborah said on September 20, 2022 at 4:51 pm

Back to “Noises Off”, I watched the movie yesterday because I was curious. It was actually kind of good. I had never seen the play, it would be hard to be an actor in the play, it seems to me, because the timing is so important. Michael Caine is in it for heaven sake.

If things keep going in this country with the threats of violence escalating a lot of us may be fleeing too.

380 chars

55. alex said on September 20, 2022 at 4:59 pm

I’ll bite, Sherri.

For the same reason we don’t leave our homes unsecured.

78 chars

56. Sherri said on September 20, 2022 at 5:47 pm

But you bought your home, Alex. It was just luck that you happened to be born within this particular arbitrary border. What makes that border yours to secure?

158 chars

57. Icarus said on September 20, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Why shouldn’t we have open borders?

unintended consequences. Borders are a human construct and as such, are either flawed or work exactly as designed. Keep the haves and the have-nots separated.

And so with open borders, the rich will find a way to exploit the poor as always.

and I found this article, which I’m working through.

424 chars

58. alex said on September 20, 2022 at 6:57 pm

If we didn’t have a system in place for admitting entry, we’d be overrun in no time flat and we’d be living in utter chaos. It may not be my border to secure, but it will become my obligation as a citizen to accommodate the masses who yearn to live here. That’s not to say that I don’t think there’s plenty of room for more people and that our country wouldn’t thrive if we opened up immigration, but it’s something that needs to be well planned and not “arbitrary.”

466 chars

59. Scout said on September 20, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I am pro-immigrant all the way. However, I believe there do need to be systems in place to know who is coming in and why. What we need is effective and fair immigration reform that actually assists people seeking entry rather than putting up so many obstacles that it’s considered easier to try to do work arounds for some. Dems have been trying to pass bills on this issue for decades and the GQP blocks everything because ‘thah borrrrrderrrr’ is red meat for their Cletus base.

479 chars

60. Sherri said on September 20, 2022 at 7:31 pm

The overrun by immigration thing already happened; it’s what my ancestors did to the Native Americans. I’m not sure that gives me any moral right to police a border. It was really only as immigrants became less white that we started to restrict immigration (well, not counting the forced immigration of enslaved black people.)

330 chars

61. LAMary said on September 20, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Not many years ago Texas got lots of housing built by underpaid, undocumented laborers. I would bet good money that the parking lots of Home Depots in Texas have undocumented workers looking for brush clearing, roofing, ditch digging jobs. As a resident of a border state I know it goes on here and until I see Anglos hanging out looking for work in those parking lots I’m not going to get worked up about Amurricin jobs being stolen. There’s something very wrong with how we simultaneously exploit and block migrants from coming into this country.

548 chars

62. alex said on September 20, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Sherri, this nation was built on inequities. So are you saying that we have blood on our hands if we have benefited from having been born here as opposed to say somewhere in the Third World? That morally we are compelled to give up what we have and go live as paupers? I’m not sure what’s the point of this exercise.

316 chars

63. Dexter Friend said on September 21, 2022 at 2:29 am

That fucking goddam American Embassy in Baghdad, still staffed, by the way, was built by Filipino slave labor organized by Kuwaiti companies. Oh, we have always been rotten. https://original.antiwar.com/david-phinney/2006/10/26/slave-labor-at-us-embassy-in-baghdad/

268 chars

64. Sherri said on September 21, 2022 at 11:44 am

The point of the exercise is to question assumptions. The baseline assumption is that of course, we must protect our borders and control who comes in. I’m not accusing anyone of having blood on their hands, but rather asking why we, with our unearned status as “haves”, should prevent “have nots” from joining us?

323 chars

65. Bob (not Greene) said on September 21, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Sherri, I’d use your North American example as the reason why closed borders exist — because the world is populated by vicious assholes who, seeing an open border, will simply swing by and say, “It’s mine now, what are you going to do about it?” Also, see Russia.

264 chars

66. Deborah said on September 21, 2022 at 12:50 pm

Since Nancy is in Spain now, here’s an interesting diagram comparing the density of Barcelona to the sprawl of Atlanta https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1572263057958621185 Density is good for the planet.

213 chars

67. Icarus said on September 21, 2022 at 4:38 pm

Good questions Sherri. With respect to the US of A, I would say American Exceptionalism. We’ve pissed off so many people and countries that we have to have secure borders just to prevent all the retaliation we likely deserve.

The answer probably applies to other modern day Empires as well.

295 chars

68. Sherri said on September 21, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for the discussion. My position is about where LAMary is: there’s something very wrong about how we simultaneously exploit and block migrants.

151 chars

69. Julie Robinson said on September 22, 2022 at 10:26 am

Sherri, Florida is one of the worst for blocking/exploiting immigrants. Big surprise, right? For example, even the Farm Bureau admits that 50-70% of agriculture workers are without papers. The real numbers are much higher.

So Florida says it will enforce E-Verify, the federal system for checking a worker’s status. Only big ag really can’t function that way, so large donations are made to the appropriate politicians, and hey presto, the law is modified. Now only government positions must go through the E-Verify process; all other positions are exempt.

The pols get the best of both worlds: they can bitch about “illegals” and still get their campaign contributions. Who loses? The poor, the undocumented, those who came because their countries are run by narco-terrorists.

It’s the worst.

803 chars

70. Deborah said on September 22, 2022 at 2:40 pm

We got our 3rd booster and flu shot this morning. I’m feeling fine, I’ve never had any problem so far, only a sore arm after the first vaccine but not that bad. Glad to have that done.

There are lots of undocumented folks in NM too. There’s a certain intersection in Santa Fe where men (it’s always only men) looking for work hang out and people drive up and hire them to do various chores in and around their houses. I suppose contractors pick up some workers that way for construction jobs here and there and restaurants are always looking for help. It’s well known, nobody seems very concerned about it. It appears to be somewhat coordinated, there seems to be a “boss” who decides who can get whatever work is being sought. This intersection is less than a half mile from our condo and we drive by it all the time, it’s close to the plaza which is the center of town. It’s safe and non-threatening, it always seems to be to me anyway.

941 chars

71. LAMary said on September 22, 2022 at 4:29 pm

No is bothered by the workers at Home Depot either. We have a mandatory annual brush clearing requirement here and I usually hire a couple of guys from that parking lot to do my yard. I have a double lot with quite a few trees and these guys show up with tools, a pick up truck, and stuff to bundle the branches. I give them enough money to cover the dumping fee and pay them fairly. I provide ice water during the day and a case of Modelo when they leave. They do a great job and work fast and I have never seen an Anglo hanging out at the parking lot looking for work.

571 chars

72. Deborah said on September 22, 2022 at 7:39 pm

It’s about to be Chicagohenge, when the sun lines up with the west to east streets of the city grid on the equinox, I’ve got my phone ready to photograph it on Delaware the west/east street that our building unit abuts. I’m not on Facebook anymore so I have nowhere to post it. I have tons of photos of it previously so I don’t know why it matters to me but it does. Every year I try to capture it. This year it seems like it’s going to slightly off so we’ll see.

463 chars

73. Mark P said on September 23, 2022 at 9:15 am

A friend who has lived near Albuquerque for decades says that Mexicans come to the US to work. Often they work to get a nice sum of money, and then go home, maybe never to return. He has smuggled Mexicans across the border, only north to south. Here in Georgia, my late uncle, not the most liberal person in town, said someone in his gun shop (yes) mentioned seeing some “Mexicans”‘walking across the parking lot. Another guy said that if you saw them in daylight, they weren’t Mexicans, because Mexicans would be working during the day.

545 chars

74. Deborah said on September 23, 2022 at 1:36 pm

I’m not feeling well today and I’m pretty sure it’s because of my booster and flu shot yesterday. I’m thinking I probably shouldn’t have done them both at the same time. I never had much of a reaction to the covid vaccine before and have never had a reaction from a flu shot. Today is our wedding anniversary so I hope I’m feeling better soon.

The Hispanic guys we know in NM are the hardest working people around. We’ve hired guys to do things for our cabin in Abiquiu and our condo in Santa Fe and they were the hardest workers we’ve ever had. Except there was one guy who was our handyman at the condo building for a while who wasn’t that great. I don’t know if all of those guys we’ve used were documented or not and frankly I don’t care if they were not. We paid them fairly, and they were worth every penny. Same in Chicago when we had our condo renovated, the workers were all Hispanic or eastern European immigrants and they were great. We didn’t hire them, our contractor did and they were all very loyal to him, so we know he paid them well. I don’t like it when contractors or other businesses hire immigrants because they think they can pay them less. That’s evil, obviously.

1191 chars

75. Julie Robinson said on September 23, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Deborah, my mom felt ill for days and says she won’t get both shots on the same day in the future. The rest of us were fine, except for my very sore arms the first night. It just seems everyone reacts very differently.

I’ve been thinking about the men hanging out at Home Depot and wondering how they feel about it. Are they desperate for any work at all, do they like shooting the breeze with buddies as they wait, how hot and dehydrated they get, on and on. I’m listening to Cicely Tyson’s autobiography and she talks about going to meet her mother outside a department store. Her mom had a regular job as a maid, but when they needed more money she picked up extra shifts that way. As Cicely observed the large group of Black women waiting, she also observed the behavior of the white women who were looking at cleaniness and speech, and she suddenly realized how much it looked like a slave market. She refused to go into the store, feeling the clothes her mother would buy were going to be tainted.

Anyway, we almost escaped this year, but it looks like the tropical depression forming right now will become a huuricane and that it’s heading our direction. This was new information this morning, and when we went to Costco whooey, craziness! The gas line was 20 minutes long, the line for water from the back of the store to the front, they were already out of several things on our list. Fun times!

1411 chars

76. David C said on September 23, 2022 at 6:00 pm

I got both my booster and flu shot in the same go. I wish I had taken the pharmacist’s advice and got one in each arm instead of both in one. My arm was really sore for a couple of days. I did feel a little dragged out for about a day but not too bad. Mary tested negative for Covid today. She first tested positive eleven days ago. She still coughs a bit and she feels pretty down in the dumps but I bet knowing she’s negative now will lift her spirits.

454 chars

77. Julie Robinson said on September 23, 2022 at 6:26 pm

David, a couple of us needed a full month before we got all our energy back. I’m not sure if knowing that would make her feel better or worse, but there it is.

Storm has been named. Ian.

187 chars

78. David C said on September 23, 2022 at 8:45 pm

I wonder if knowing is better too, Julie. Mary doesn’t usually snap back from illness very quickly. With any luck, the hope from the negative test will be good medicine.

169 chars

79. LAMary said on September 23, 2022 at 10:10 pm

The guys at my local Home Depot seem to know each other somewhat. One time I needed someone to haul away a lot of junk and one the parking lot guys referred me to another guy who had a big truck. He even walked me over to the guy with the truck and explained in Spanish what I needed.

285 chars

Leave a reply, join the conversation.

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website